Tue. Jan 19th, 2021

Gangster Vikas Dubey arrested in Ujjain..

Share this news
Ujjain, July 9 (HS) Madhya Pradesh Police arrested gangster Vikas Dubey, the main accused in the Kanpur murder case, from Mahakaleshwar temple in Ujjain after a nearly week-long chase involving the police of three states. The bounty on him was raised to Rs 5 lakh.
Vikas Dubey was spotted at Mahakal temple around 8 am, according to the police. He was buying prayer offerings to take inside the temple when the shopkeeper recognized him and reportedly alerted security guards. When he emerged from the temple, the guards questioned him.

He first produced a fake ID card of a much younger man. When prodded further, he hit out at the guards, who dragged him to the police station.

“Main Vikas Dubey hoon, Kanpur wala,” he shouted out, when he was beaten while being taken to the police van. CCTV footage showed Dubey, in a mask, being taken away by half a dozen cops.

The police constantly conducted raids in Haryana and Delhi to arrest him after eight policemen were killed on Friday when they went in a large team to Bikru village in Chaubeypur area of Kanpur to arrest Dubey.
Vikas Dubey was caught around the same time two his aides, Prabhat Mishra and Ranbir Shukla, were killed in separate encounters in UP on Thursday morning. One gang member, Prabhat, arrested at the hotel in Faridabad, was shot dead reportedly when he tried to escape. He was being brought back to Kanpur with another man arrested along with him in a police van.

The police said they were fixing the van’s flat tyre when Prabhat snatched a gun and tried to escape. He shot at the cops and the policemen retaliated, according to the police. “He was injured in the leg. He died in hospital,” senior police officer Prashant Kumar said.

Another aide, Ranbir Shukla was shot dead this morning in Etawah, around 220 km from state capital Lucknow. Ranbir had a bounty of Rs 50,000. “At around 3 am, a Swift Dzire was looted by four armed men on a Scorpio. They were stopped about an hour later by cops when they tried to escape. The police chased them and Shukla suffered multiple injuries in crossfire. He was declared brought dead at the hospital,” Etawah SSP Akash Tomar said.